Leak Detection Gold Coast
Leak detection services
Call DCM on (07) 5576 5305
Household leaks are more than just an inconvenience.
An avoidable leak can increase your water bill unnecessarily, damage fixtures and fittings, and put your home at risk of flooding.
Further, with a tap that drips once a second wasting up to 33 litres of water per day, it’s our environmental responsibility to detect and repair leaks as soon as they start.
How to confirm a suspected water leak:
- Compare your water bills. If your usage seems unusually high, you may have a leak.
- Stop using all water fixtures (taps, dishwasher, toilets and washing machine) and read the water meter. If the meter has moved after an hour, it’s likely you have a leak.
- You have puddles and wet patches in the home or garden
- You receive a letter from the council advising that your water consumption has increased by more than 50% since the last reading.
What do our water leak detection services include?
The leak detection service only focuses on the water main pipework and fixtures that could be leaking such as toilets, taps and hot water services. If a leaking pipe is found then the most common cause is a deterioration of the pipework. If the pipework is poly pipe then the offending section is cut out and a new section inserted in its place. If the pipework is copper, then a weld maybe sufficient to fix a pin hole leak. If the pipework has corroded then a new section of copper pipe is run in its place.
Why choose us for your Gold Coast water leak detection service?
- Local: Our licensed plumbers are based locally on the Gold Coast so a professional can be there fast before the leak poses a risk to property.
- Reliable: We rely on repeat business and word of mouth and understand that reliability is what customers look for.
- Respectful and friendly: Our plumbers treat your home or property as well as they do their own. We are certified ‘Tidy Tradies’ and guarantee the least amount of disruption to your home or garden and we pride ourselves on our friendliness.
- Experience: With almost 20 years’ experience in plumbing and leak detection on the Gold Coast, we have thousands of satisfied customers.
- We go the extra mile: If you’ve already received a larger than average water bill, Gold Coast City Council may offer relief for high usage caused by concealed water leaks.
If we carry out a repair that will qualify for relief on your water bill, we’ll send you a form to apply for a rebate along with details of the repair and the first meter reading. Take a look at the form here.
All you need to do is complete your personal details and take a second meter reading a week after the repair and send your application to Gold Coast City Council.
Tip: GCCC only allow three relief applications in a ten-year period, so make sure the water bill is excessive enough to warrant a claim.
DCM Plumbing provides a trusted leak detection service on the Gold Coast. To repair leaks and keep water bills low, call DCM Plumbing on 07 5576 5305 today.
Frequently Asked Questions
???? How much does leak detection cost?
Leak detection costs $185 inc GST for most leaks at most homes. If the water leak is at a complex or unit block then we can provide a quote before proceeding as the price will vary from the average home. We can also trace water lines so that leaking pipes can be bypassed or replaced if necessary. Leaking water pipes can occur almost anywhere – the challenge is finding and fixing the problem.
????What is a leak detection test?
This comes in 2 formats (i) the first is a test carried out by a qualified plumber who checks your water meter and carries out visual checks on internal and external plumbing fixtures such as taps, toilets and hot water units. (ii) the second type of test is carried out by a leak detection specialist. They use special listening devices after putting water pipes under pressure to hear where the pressure escapes, thus identifying underground and hidden leaks in the piping systems.
????How do I know if there is a water leak in my house?
The most obvious way to know you have a water leak is by seeing water where it should not be. This could be a soggy patch in your garden, water running into the road when it hasn’t been raining, swollen timber on cabinets, walls and ceilings. Another way people know they may have a water leak is when the Council send them a letter saying their water usage has gone up over 50% from their last billing period.
If you believe you have a water leak but can’t see any signs of a leak, you should check your water meter for signs of movement. To do this, turn off all taps, dishwashers, washing machines and any other fixtures that use water. Take a photo of your water meter reading, don’t use any water on the property for 1 hour. Take a second photo of your water meter reading. If the digits have moved during this hour it is likely you have a water leak.
????How does a plumber find a water leak?
When a plumber investigates a potential water leak they carry out a 10 minute test on the water meter checking for signs of movement. If there is movement and depending on how quickly the meter is moving, the next step is to check for any leaking fixtures within the property. If there are no leaking fixtures they will then check around the property for signs of a leak. This could be as simple as water pooling in an area, water running into the road, a wet patch on an otherwise dry area of concrete or a very green section of grass where surrounding grass is not (easier to see in the winter months than summer). If no obvious signs of water can be found, then we engage the services of a specialist leak locator who will carry out further tests on the integrity of the incoming water main pipework.