For most of us, thinking about our hot water system is something we just don’t do until there’s an issue. But did you know hot water systems need to be serviced on a regular basis? If they don’t receive regular servicing, problems can arise sooner than they should, and you may have unexpected and potentially untimely problems. In this blog, we’ll dive into why servicing your hot water system is important, and we will help you determine whether you need to service yours. Be sure to always call a professional plumber like DCM Plumbing when you do.
DCM Plumbing is the best plumber on the Gold Coast. We are available 24/7 for all your plumbing needs. With over 900 5* Google reviews and 35 years of experience, we are known as the best for a reason. Got a blocked drain? Need help with leak detection? Want to learn how to clear a blocked drain? We can help.
How often does your hot water system need to be serviced?
Well, the regularity of your hot water system service depends on what make, model, and type of water heater you have. Generally speaking, it is as follows:
- Electric/gas: We recommend a minor service every six months and a major service every five years. The minor service involves carefully lifting the temperature and pressure relief valve to release pressure, and performing a visual inspection of the drain line and unit itself for any leaks, blockages, or wear and tear. This minor service can be performed by the dwelling occupant. A major service is recommended once every five years and must be performed by a licensed professional.
- Continuous/instantaneous flow: once a year.
- Heat pump: once a year.
- Solar: once every five years.
It is crucial to regularly service your hot water system to ensure optimal performance and longevity. If you don’t, it could lead to problems down the road.
What are hot water systems?
As you may already know, hot water systems are a crucial part of any home – there’s nothing like a hot shower after a long day’s work, and no one likes doing the dishes with cold water. Hot water systems can be electric or gas, or even solar-powered, and they come in a whole host of different sizes, ranging from around 25L to 400L or more.
Why do hot water systems need to be serviced?
Like any other appliance in your home, hot water systems require regular servicing from a licensed professional to guarantee smooth operation. If not serviced properly, there are a variety of things that could go wrong:
- Your hot water system may start leaking, leading to water damage in your home.
- Water heaters are prone to rust and, if left unattended, may need replacement.
- A poorly maintained hot water system could result in higher energy bills.
- They can overheat if not properly looked after, which can lead to a fire.
- They may simply stop working altogether – and it could happen when you least expect it.
Signs that your hot water system needs servicing
As mentioned previously, hot water systems should be serviced on a regular basis; however, if you notice any of the following issues, you should get your water heater looked at immediately:
1. Water not getting hot, or not as hot as it used to
If your hot water doesn’t seem to be getting hot enough, or it’s taking a long time for the water to heat up, then you should call in a professional and get your system serviced.
2. There is a leak in your hot water system
A number of problems can cause a hot water system to leak, including poorly fitted pipes, a defective pressure relief valve, a damaged tank, or high water pressure. Again, if you notice a leak, it’s best to call in a professional and have them look at your water heater.
3. Your hot water system starts making strange noises
If your water heater starts making a banging, rumbling, hissing, sizzling, ticking, screeching, or screaming noise, or generally any noise you haven’t heard it make before, then it’s important to hire someone to come out and take a look. There are a whole host of problems that can cause your water heater to make strange noises, and an early intervention can help avoid serious issues.
4. Your hot water system is old or outdated
On the side of your hot water system, there should be a label from the manufacturer – this should tell you the date the system was installed. If you can’t see a label or the installation date isn’t shown, then you should be able to use the serial number to determine the age of your unit. An older system will need more regular servicing, and depending on the age, it may need to be replaced.
5. The hot water system is constantly turning on and off.
Due to age, wear and tear, and other factors, water heaters can start randomly turning off and on. This can be a frustrating problem and should be addressed by a professional as soon as you have the chance.
If you notice any of these issues, contact DCM Plumbing today to arrange an in-depth servicing of your hot water system.
What are the benefits of servicing your hot water system?
From what we’ve already seen in this article, some of the benefits of regularly servicing your hot water system can be:
- If serviced regularly, your hot water system is less likely to leak or overheat.
- Servicing your water heater can prevent sediment build-up and other problems, which might lead to strange noises or even a system failure.
- A regularly serviced water heater will last longer than one that’s neglected, sometimes even years longer.
- Another benefit of servicing your hot water system is that it can help save you money on your monthly energy bills. A poorly functioning water heater is less efficient and therefore uses more energy to produce the same results.
Contact DCM Plumbing for all your hot water system needs
When you choose to service your hot water system, remember that you’re not only keeping it running smoothly, you’re also prolonging its life.
DCM Plumbing is a family-run team of professional plumbers. Our team is dedicated to supplying a professional plumbing and drainage service throughout the Gold Coast. We have been servicing residential and commercial properties since 2002 within Burleigh Heads and throughout the Gold Coast region. Contact us today for all your water heater servicing needs.